Thursday, December 08, 2005

Just for Cindy (Neener Neener Neener!)

I have a thing for farm names. Broad Hill Farms. Upland Farm.

It's a very poetic enterprise to sit around thinking up names for a farm. When I was a little girl, my Breyer horses all lived at Sky Meadow Farm (which really is an embarrassingly little girl name). I had a riding instructor once who said you could always tell the horses owned by kids--they all had names like Snowflake, Pudding, or Hershey's Kiss. Sky Meadow Farm has that over the top feeling to it. {But my horses were named good strong names--Rustem (Persian Hero), Onyx, Fairfield, and Sea Foam.}(Alright, that one blows, I admit. And she wasn't even green....)

I think I'd get too silly if I had to name a house. The English tradition of naming a house, Manderley, or some such thing, can get really dumb really fast. I think I'd default to Lilac Hill, or something Nancy Drewish.

Here's some other farm names I like: Minglewood Farms, Firehouse Farm, Evergreen Farm. And here's one which Cindy might like: a little dairy farm in New Brunswick called Sow Cow Farms, Inc. No, really!

(Not to be confused with a Salchow or any such thing.)

2 comments:

CindyS said...

Thanks for playing with me Suisan. I left the comment over at my place. Duh. So you'll have to check it out there ;)

You were the only one to try, good thing I don't have a fragile ego or anything or I'd suggest I don't feel the love *sniff* Teehee ;)

CindyS (gonna look around up here in Canada and see if there are any Sow Cow farms) The things that get me excited.

Kate said...

around the DC area (esp MD) any time you saw a sign with a farm name, you knew it was actually a development named after whatever it was they destroyed to put up the houses.

I swear, that place grows so fast it's like a the fungus in our refrigerator.