Sunday, February 25, 2007

Curses! Foiled Again!

By way of Fiona, I bring you What Curse Word Are You?

I'm "<span class=Shikseh"!" border="0">
I'm "Shikseh"!
Take What Curse Word Are You? today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Shikseh is the Yiddish word for a non-Yiddish girl. Basically, a slut. Why you'd even know this I'm not sure - I had to look it up.

But obviously, you use it because you're one of those really smart people who does those kinds of things. Looks up curse words in other languages to say to your teachers and random people in your class and then tell them, in your nicest voice, that you're simple saying "thank you" in Zulu. And hope that no one knows Zulu.



Umm. Ok. Can I just say here that I'm totally confused? Mostly because I overthink these things. Is this the curse word I am supposed to use? Or is this the word that best describes me?

Because I AM a shikseh, but I never thought of it as being a curse word. Really. I mean, like yeah, it is, but it's also kind of a joke? What confuses me is that if you read the description of the curse word, then it says that I'm smart enough to look up words in other languages and use them in front of my teachers.

But how do you swear using the word shikseh? O, Shikseh This! How dare you shikseh up my double latte order?

Sob. I'm a failure at swearing. Sniff. Sybil, I need an intervention. Sybil? Yoo Hoo!

(And you know what's a little spooky? I spent waaay too much time on the internet the other night looking up a translation for "Inch Bessis", which is Armenian for "What's up." Sort of. But I wanted to get a translation of that and the phrase for "Hey! I'm an Armenian too!" But I couldn't find a phrase generator. Which would make sense, because I don't speak Armenian, I'm only 1/4 Armenian, and if I spoke to someone in Armenian, then they would expect me to speak Armenian, and what an disaster THAT would be.)

8 comments:

Megan Frampton said...

I got 'shikseh' too; I think they're ignorant about Yiddish swearing, implying you'd yell out 'shikseh!' if someone stole your parking spot.

I don't think either one of us is a failure at swearing either, Suisan. Just a guess.

Suisan said...

With practice I have "Become a great proficient" in the swearing department.

Ahem.

Anonymous said...

I missed this post :)

Yeah, it's a dumb quiz. Shikseh isn't a swear word and it doesn't mean slut. Yes, it's pejorative, but only from the POV of a Jewish person with prejudice against non-Jews, IMO.

Anonymous said...

Annahid here:

I got Damn!!!!!!!!!!!! Squee!!!!!!

Megan Frampton said...

And to respond to something totally OT, at least for this post, no, I haven't seen the Departed, but the library is providing it for me soon.

I won't notice the scenery, since I was very insular in Cambridge. The thing that gets me is the wrong accent, but I hear that's done well (and as you know, I don't have an accent, but I do know what they should sound like).

Suisan said...

OT response on The Departed:

Well, as you know, I don't have an accent. (To a British citizen or a Canadian, then yes I have an accent, but it's not a Boston Accent.) I agree with you though, when it's done wrong it jolts me out of the movie every single time.

Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon, and Leonardo DiCaprio had it down. (Leo slipped a few times, but not by much.) Nicholson's accent was almost kind almost there, but he's so strong as JACK that it's not completely believable that he's from Southie.

Martin Sheen's accent wanted to make me throw things at the screen. ONLY THE KENNEDYS TALK LIKE THE KENNEDYS! Stop channeling JFK. Ugh.

Suisan said...

TO ANNAHID:

WHY ARE YOU NOT IN SCHOOL?!?!?!

GET OFF MY BLOG AND DO SOME WORK YOU FANTASTIC, ENERGETIC, RESPONSIBLE, DELIGHTFUL, ARTISTIC AND ARTICULATE CHILD OR I'M GONNA KICK YOUR BUTT!

Honestly, kids these days.

Anonymous said...

You're the one who said I could get on the computer. If I remember correctly, I started my shower that morning at 5:10 in the morning. I was ready to go.