Saturday, February 04, 2006

Tahoe

My husband went to New York last weekend and brought back his mother. On Thursday afternoon I left my kids in her capable care and drove to Lake Tahoe to retreat into a cabin my friend leases up there.

I was all by myself from Thursday afternoon through Saturday morning.

And I did nothing.

Well, actually I kept a fire lit, drank a bottle of Ravenswood Zinfandel, knit a pair of socks, and read Kate Rothwell's Somebody Wonderful and Somebody to Love, and Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels. Somewhere in there I took a long bath.

It was thoroughly delightful to be up in the woods, listening to the fire pop and the creek rush behind the cabin and not be beholden to a soul.

Of course, now that I'm home, I'm starting to tell myself that I should have used the time to get some writing done, or knitting-pattern calculations completed. Oh, Please! Just shut up, internal critic!!

I did learn how to prop a paperback open while knitting--it unfortunately involves cracking the spine, which I'm not that happy about. But hey, now at least I can tell ole bossy boss in my head that I did get SOMETHING done while I was away.

(And they deserve their own reviews, but I loved Kate Rothwell's books. Especially Somebody Wonderful. I'll have to go back to skim so I can remember details about what I liked or noticed, but the shortest possible review would be--read them. In terms of Loretta Chase--I think she's a bit heavy for me right now. I've got drama going on up to my eyeballs, and I can't quite tolerate her drama on top of my own. But I can tell that Lord of Scoundrels is a great book--I stayed up late to finish it. But it sort of wore me out. Or maybe that was the Zinfandel.)

4 comments:

Kristie (J) said...

Sounds like a heavenly time! No distractions, just quiet time to do whatever you felt like.
I really enjoyed Kate Rothwell's books too. I'm looking forward to reading her again when her next one comes out - whenever that might be.
And I consider Lord of Scoundrels one of the classics of modern day romance. I've read and reread it too many times to count now. Along with Dreaming of You which is another classic. (heh heh)

Mad said...

Sounds like heaven! I want a weekend away like that! :)

CindyS said...

Wow. Good for you. I've often thought about trying to get away on my own but then I am on my own for the better part of the day anyways. I'm afraid I would get there and my brain would tell me I had to chop wood or something!

Funny thing is Bob doesn't like the idea of me going away without him. In all honesty, I'm not sure I would be thrilled with Bob going away without me but then, he does it for work all the time.

Hmmm, something to think about.

Glad you had some time to yourself. You deserve it. Don't let the fuckers get you down!! I can say that here right?

Try Lord of Scoundrels later. It really is a wonderful book. I wonder which book Kristie was talking about with that whole 'Dreaming of You'? Must be a Nora Roberts book ;)

CindyS

Megan Frampton said...

That sounds great. I am heading out to Portland, OR, soon to do much the same thing. Yay. (Too tired for an exclamation point).