Tuesday, November 07, 2006

First Tuesday in November!!

Go vote.

If you haven't voted yet, do it now. (If you're in America.)

In California we had a two page double sided ballot. And, because of ongoing concerns about our voting systems, we had to fill in the little bubble with the special black pen. Took fricking forever. Better overall than the punchcard thingies which never lined up properly and led to torn ballots and Dum da Dum Dum: hanging chads.

But anyways, I voted.

I have my sticker, right here on my shirt which says, "I voted!" (My kindergartner wore one to school today too. Awww.)

I miss the voting booth machines from my childhood in Massachusetts. Walk into the booth, pull the lever to swish the curtain closed behind you. flip the little tabs and then crank that big lever to VOTE. So active. Flipping all those little levers made it seem as if I were preparing a brown muslin spaceship to take off from the basement of the Union Church. It was great and mysterious and archaic.

Somehow filling in the little bubble with the little felt tip pen on the slick blue plastic table just doesn't feel quite right. Like maybe I only pretended to vote?

I dunno.

Whatever else there is rumbling around in my head, do this one thing for me. Vote.

No comments: