Sunday, October 02, 2005

What I've read recently

OK, thought I should start keeeping track of what books I was planning on writing about. Oh dear, this is a project that got away from me.

White Horses by Joan Wolf
Regency Romance set at circus. How many facts wrong? Well, not tooooo many, but oy vey.

Keeper of my Heart by Penelope Neri
Don't really need to write about it--fluff and enjoyable. But must quote silliest line from back blurb here to complete my obligation to write about this book:
"From his thick locks of midnight silk to his well-muscled chest rippling with unchecked power, Miranda realized at once that this man was no ordinary lighthouse keeper."
Gee. Ya Think? Perhaps the only time I've ever read a romance about the ardor and terror associated with lighthouse keeping. The gardening hero may be next.

No Man's Mistress by Mary Balogh
Did I write about this? Or only More Than a Mistress? Think I liked More Than more than No Man.

The Indiscretion by Judith Ivory
Meh. Texan. Couldn't deal with the "I'm a brawny Southerner" thing. Never finished.

Only With Your Love by Lisa Kleypas
Pirates, French heiress, New Orleans, cool twist where the hero is the prodigal son, nay, identical twin, of the fiance to the French heroine. Includes nursing of the feverish hero lingering towards death. Yep, that works.

All Through the Night by Connie Brockway
Good. But Ms. Giggles gave it a 100--maybe my expectations were too high? But good nonetheless.

Dark Secret by Christine Feehan
Hard to read w/o channelling Candy's observations about Carpathian romances all being the same. Don't quite get what all the fuss is about, but at least I have read a vampire, OK, a "Carpathian" romance.

Rules of Attraction and Rules of Seduction by Christina Dodd
Books 1 and 3 of the Governess Bride series. Liked Book 2 the best, then Book 3, then Book 1. I think I always like the first book I read in a series, and since I have never read the first in a series, I wonder if that means I will never like the first in a series. Hmmm.

The Proposition by Judith Ivory
Mick the ratcatcher tries to get all fahncy by learning how to say Rahther--learning elocution from a sheltered linguistics professor. Liked that she was not breathtakingly gorgeous.

Circus in Winter by Cathy Day
Not a Romance. Interesting weaving of stories about circus people who winter over in a small midwestern town and build their lives there.

The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Still reading--but surprised at how easily this flows--thought it would be more intertwined.

And I'm missing another literary fiction book that I just finished, but I can neither find it nor remember the title. Ooops.

2 comments:

CindyS said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was starting to get conned into trying Judith Ivory/Cuevas from all the recent blogs. I have a feeling this author is just not for me. I have never seen so many people talk about the author's writing style. Okay, I get it, she's poetic, but, was the story great?

Okay, I admit I have Untie My Heart in the TBR pile but I haven't cracked yet ;)

As to Brockway, I think my expectations were high going in also.

CindyS

Angela James said...

Yes, this happens to me too. I don't blog about the books as I read them and then I have to do a mongo post. You'd think I'd learn!