Monday, October 24, 2005

Joy meme

The extremely long version of the instructions for this meme (courtesy of The Smart Bitches)

THE SEARCH FOR JOY

Search your blog for the word "joy" used in the context of happiness. If you cannot find the word in your weblog, you may use any of the select list of synonyms below.

joy : amusement, bliss, cheer, comfort, delectation, delight, ecstasy, elation, exaltation, exultation, exulting, felicity, gaiety, gladness, glee, good humor, gratification, happiness, hilarity, humor, jubilance, liveliness, merriment, mirth, pleasure, rapture, regalement, rejoicing, revelry, satisfaction, wonder

If your weblog does not include a built-in search engine, then you can use Google to search it only for the word you wish to find.

If you've found the word and it was not used facetiously or sarcastically, good for you. All you need to do is link to your earlier entry, and write a few words about that joyous moment. If, however, you have no joy (whole words only) in your weblog, you must dig deep in your soul and find something wonderful in your life right now. One little thing that fills you with warmth, that bubbles you over with quiet happiness, or tickles you with its good-hearted hilarity, or makes you glad you just took a breath, and are getting ready to take another. It doesnÂ’t have to be anything big. A smile someone gave you; your cat on your shoulder; the way the light angles through your window and casts rainbows on your floor. All it has to be is something genuine, something real, something that matters to you.

Because we all need joy in our lives, and need to take the time - from time to time - to recognize it. And sometimes, we need to pass it on. Even if we're a big pain in the ass when we do.


So I search for Joy and found the delaying tactic entry form this morning "Wait I'm supposed to write about Joy." Dumb Suisan.

I searched for glee and found this post about cleaning fish:
He got a call from a guy last week who said that he had a deer in the back of his truck. He asked if Butcher could portion the deer for him.

Husband says, "Yeah. Bring it over. I'll give you the saddle and make venison sausage for you out the rest." Hunter exclaims with glee. There aren't that many non-corporate butcher shops anymore--they all tend to be part of some supermarket or another--so it's been hard for this guy to find someone to help him with his deer.


Except that technically this doesn't count because I wasn't gleeful, some guy who shot a deer was.

So what makes me super happy, joyous, gleeful, and comforted?

The end of the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" which I saw last night where Scout says (Quoting from memory here), "In Death neighbors bring food, in Sickness flowers, and little things inbetween. Boo was our neighbor....He gave us two soap dolls, a broken pocket watch, a knife, and our lives." Makes me tear up every single time. God, what a good movie. What a good book.

Laying my hand on the neck of a well-muscled horse. There's a plane about halfway down the neck which usually just fits the curve of my palm. If you slide your hand down from the poll towards the chest and stop about halfway, the coat has slicked under your skin, so your palm is smooth, and you can just feel strength. It's not blood pulsing, or muscles rippling, just the tension of the horse filling your palm.(And in antidote to that feeling is the horrifying sensation of putting a beloved aged stallion down, patting him gently as he drifts away, and tripping over the spot to feel not strength, but only dead meat under your hand. I experienced that as a junior in high school and I still get nightmares.)

Watching my dog run as fast as he can just because he can. He's part grey hound, so his back curls and flattens as he flings his legs to the end of their arcs. His mouth gapes, his ears fly, his tail pumps. I wish I could be that excited by simply being outside in the sun (or in the rain, or in the mist).

Singing old-fashioned Methodist hymns in a group of people, feeling their voices in my chest. The palpable sense of singing. Must be group singing for the sympathetic vibrations to hum.(It doesn't have to be hymns, but now that I've outgrown high school choral society, hymn singing is what I've got left. Haydn's Creation was great for this too.)

Shaker Apple Pie made with apples which dissolve into chunky applesauce, thickened with heavy cream, flavored with rose water and cinnamon. Yummmmm.

I tag, eh, who do I tag? First thoughts were Cindy (well, can't do that, she tagged me), Megan Frampton (She likes me, she likes me, she really likes me. She even comes to comment here. But she already "joy"-ed.), and Doug (and who already "joy"-ed). Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Kate Rothwell. Come On! Join the Joy! (And I still owe you an order for socks--whining--I'm sorry. I wanna buy socks!)

So, erm, I also tag Ms. Harriet Miers: Harriet Miers

5 comments:

Kate R said...

LOL at tagging harriet--forget my answer. I want to see what Harriet Miers says.

I'll have to look into it when I'm avoiding my kids. Right now I'm avoiding work, a much more serious pastime.

CindyS said...

Awww, the description of your puppy! My Cody used to run like that when he got good and wound up. Cody isn't as sleek as a greyhound though.

You are wonderfully descriptive in your writing. I can actually *see* what you write about.

CindyS

Megan Frampton said...

Suisan:

Your descriptions are great.
And I tagged Kate, and she ignored me, so she must like you better than she likes me.

Suisan said...

Suisan's blushing....

thanks you guys

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »