Sunday, September 11, 2005

Rules of Engagement by Christina Dodd

Quick review--I liked it.

I liked it so much I'm tracking down books 1 and 3 in the series. Note: I have NEVER in 25 years of romance reading read book one of a Romance trilogy first. NEVER Not a conscious thing that I know if, but there you go.

The Earl of Kerrich is being blackmailed by the Queen of England. (You know, I think this is the plot device which proves the point that you can get into trouble making each hero more wealthy and more titled than the next. Eh, the Queen of England?? Ok, whatever.) So he decides to show her that he's actually a responsible person by getting his hands on an orphan and hiring a governess to look after the orphan. As soon as the Queen relents, then he'll walk back to his life of landed wealth.

Pamela Lockhart has started her own governess agency in London with two friends (The Governess Brides), and she takes the position. The Earl has demanded that any governess sent to his household be old and unattractive, because he doesn't want to shoo her from his bed later on. So Pamela dresses poorly, slathers on makeup, wears old clothes, and gets the job.

In here there's a totally unecessary subplot regarding forgery, disgruntled cousins, and Bow Street Runners. Badly done--I couldn't even keep track of what bank was being hit half the time, and one bank was The Bank of England. (Doesn't say much for my reading skills, I guess.)

Anyroad, Devon and Pamela have each individually decided that love and marriage is not for him/her, which kind of creates a problem when you're the main character in a Romance novel. Devon is an over the top conceited idiot at the start, but he does step off his high horse well. (What doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense is why Pamela, who must know who he is at the start, decide to go work for this guy. Yeah, I know she needs the money, but doesn't she think that maybe she'll be recognized? Oh well, plot device.)

The sex is hot, the dialogue is well crafted, and the governess' charge is not annoying. (Yeay!)But best of all--there's a rather good grovel scene at the end. Aaah.

3 comments:

ReneeW said...

I have books 2 and 3 in my TBR mountain. I like hot and I like a good grovel. Sounds like I should probably move these closer to the top and try to get my hands on book 1 (to satisfy my compulsion to read series in order).

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Hexaeditor for ppc tires 245 45r17 purchase valium Fluid levels+2000 dodge neon Audiovox therma2ftoshiba 2032 pda phone for allltel 0 60 coupe g35 infiniti Celexa prescribing info. pamela anderson lee picture cold tire pressure Prozac shiping coker tires

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »