Monday, August 01, 2005

Paging Sir Percy!!

Cleaning out bookshelves causes one to peruse the books tucked within. Upon finding a 1960 paperback edition of The Scarlet Pimpernel I flipped through the pages. I think I am now channelling Sir Percy.

All day I've been muttering to myself: "La!" "Zooks!" Truly it is most distracting.

But my favorite forgotten but now rediscovered line is when Marguerite discovers her husband, who is revealed to be the Scarlet Pimpernel, bound with rope on the floor. She falls upon him crying. I've been misquoting his response for years, but here it is in all its silly glory.

"La! m'dear," he rejoined good-humoredly, "we will both do that anon, an you think you can loosen these demmed ropes, and release me from my inelegant attitude."

Ha! Now if I can just get him out of my head. Oh well, I suppose he can take up residence for a spell. Odd's fish!